Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hey, big spender

I can't believe I completely forgot to write about my fantastically exciting weekend. Well, the entire weekend wasn't necessarily fantastically exciting, but I did make two big purchases that made me smile. The first:

When REI has a 20% off sale and the stroller you want is part of the sale, you really can't pass up that kind of bargain.

Now, I realize that the orange may be a bit garish and I may tire of the color (hopefully not!) but I have this thing for orange right now. Which is odd, really, because it is so 70s and so reminiscent of my childhood where we drove around in an orange Volvo station wagon, sat in orange vinyl chairs at dinner, had orange fuzzy flowered wallpaper in our house and, well, you get the idea. I grew to loathe orange. Despise. Detest. But, somehow, I found myself jumping for joy at the purchase of an orange stroller for the babe. Perhaps I'm just setting this kid up for the kind of mental torture and embarrassment that my parents subjected me to when I was growing up.

On to the second purchase of the weekend:

Whoopie!! I have been thinking long and hard about upgrading to a digital camera for some time now. Yes, it's true, my rusty-trusty Nikon SLR that I have loved (and still love, by the way) for so many years is, in fact, a film camera. Like the kind that you have to send away for processing and wait days on end to get back. There is something so satisfyingly nostalgic about opening up that envelope filled with memories. But, I have finally joined the ranks of the 21st Century, much to the delight of many friends and family. Now I no longer have to hear: "WHAT?! You don't own a digital camera? What is wrong with you?" As if not owning a digital camera somehow made me some sort of leper.

I won't go into the drama I had to endure to actually acquire the camera. Long story short, I bought it at Best Buy, was sent home several hundreds of dollars later (unknowingly) with a box that contained no camera only a lens. Which was followed by a trip back, a grilling session tantamount to the Spanish Inquisition (um, yeah. I'm totally lying. I took the camera out and am trying to weasel my way into getting two camera bodies for the price of one), and finally arrived home after much discussion and debate with the fine people of Best Buy with my camera. But all's well that ends well.

Oh, and here is a picture of dog that I took with the camera. My very first picture ever taken with this wondrous new joy of technology.

He's such a pretty boy.

No comments: