Monday, May 19, 2008

Chipmunk in da house

So, we're sitting in our house in Tahoe this weekend, enjoying the fact that we're being completely lazy and non-productive. I mean, that is the whole point of spending time in Tahoe.

The weather is amazingly beautiful and very unseasonably warm - temperatures in the mid 80's while the folk in the Bay Area are suffering through a massive heatwave - so we have the doors to the back patio open to let the sunlight and slightly warm breezy air fill our souls with mountain goodness.

I am hunkered down on the small sofa, engrossed in some fascinating story on one of the websites I stalk (I think I was reading the Celebrity Baby Blog at this particular moment in time), while the husband contingent was on the large sofa with a dueling laptop reading Sailing Anarchy and watching some sporting event on TV.

Suddenly, this flash of darkness comes flying around the corner and into the living room, only to disappear as quickly as it appeared. I think I jumped 10 feet off the sofa (much faster and higher than I've moved in months, mind you) and screamed "Oh my GOD! What was that??!!" And the husband jumps over the back of the sofa to see a tiny little chipmunk scurry out of the doors back to the patio.

We run over to the doors, to make sure he really did run out of the house and not under the sofa, or into the kitchen, or someplace other than the vast wilderness he calls home, only to find him sitting in the corner of the deck with his eyes popping out of his head and his heart visibly beating 1000 beats per minute. And then he saw us again and bolted for the trees. Poor little guy.

Who knew that a 32-week pregnant lady who is grasping her MacBook Pro, while hanging from the rafters for dear life, while screeching at the top her lungs would be a scary sight to see?

It's true what they say, though. You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl. City Girl colliding with Mother Nature = heart racing, adrenaline pumping good times. And that was the most excitement I had all weekend.

Poor little chipmunk. I think he may be scarred for life.

No comments: