Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Introductions

What's this "3 Ps and a Dog" thing all about anyway? Well, it's all quite simple. First, our last name starts with the letter P. Pretty baseline if you're not so much of a creative type like myself. The 3 Ps consist of big P (my husband), little P (that's me) and baby P (who is still in the process of baking). Dog is quite obvious. He's a dog as you can see from the post below. And I liked the play on words "three peas in a pod" since we're kind of a tight-knit unit here in the P household. So there you have it - "3 Ps and a Dog" - we're just one not so big happy family.

But there is also a back story to the P theme that deserves a mention. Before I officially became a P, my future husband was waxing poetic one night about this fantastic team building exercise he used to do with new teams at work. It was really a personality typing test, along the lines of a Myers-Briggs test, where people were categorized into one of four main groups. Each group was assigned a corresponding letter (one of which was "P") and then sub-categories, additional letters, etc., etc., etc.

Suffice it to say, with my short attention span, I immediately glommed on to the concept of a "P" personality, which had something to do with a person wanting to always have harmony, balance and peace with all people. Someone who doesn't like confrontation and would rather compromise to keep all persons happy. Someone who would rather another person make decisions to ensure the balance of harmony and peace.

"Go no further," I said. "That's me. I'm a P."
"But you have to take the full test to see who you really are," he said.
"I don't care. I've decided. I'm a P."
"Oh, all right," he said. "You're a P. You're just a little P. Be that way."

Now, aside from the glaringly obvious - this is an example of the fact that conversations in our house would clearly bore most people to tears - if you think about it, my end of the conversation exhibited the opposite of what a P really embodied. But that's too bad. I'm a P, so just deal with it.

The beauty of being a P is that when I really don't feel like making a decision (Where to go to dinner? What should we do on Saturday night? Do you like blue or green better?), I can always lean on my P-ness and say "Honey, remember that I'm just a little P. I don't know and I don't care." Which if you knew anything about me at all, you would know that I really do care and I really do have an opinion about most everything. Sometimes, though, a girl just wants to be told what to do. So I have created my own realm of cop-out-ness that I can lean on when I'm having a moment whereby someone can tell me what the right decision is and all will still be right with the world.

Welcome to the life of the 3 Ps and a Dog.

No comments: